Logo TRI-EDRE TRI-EDRE's forum
Clone X Technical Support

Forum Index | Post New Topic | Search | Help | Log In | Register

» Forum Index » Clone X Technical Support » Topic: Adding files to a bootable DVD image

Posted on 20/03/09 5:28:41 PM
RMSe17

Adding files to a bootable DVD image
I am trying to create a DVD for rebuilding machines (DVD needs to boot the Mac, mount a Windows share (mount_smbfs does that), and run NetRestore from that share.
When I created the Bootable DVD with Terminal app, mount_smbfs claimed that some file it needed was missing. Since I am using a dual layer DVD, I can actually have all the files from the minimal OS X 10.5 install copied to the DVD, since the total size of the system on the hard drive is less than 8GB. How do I add files manually to the DVD image?

Thanks!
RMSe17

Posted on 20/03/09 6:33:39 PM
_Gilles

Adding files to a bootable DVD image
Hi,

RMSe17 wrote:
How do I add files manually to the DVD image?

Open the DMG created by Clone X and do whatever you want (or nearly) with it.
If it is Read only, convert it with Disk Utility.

Booting from an external disk is so simpler than that, i don't really understand why you want a DVD.

DVD is from latest century media ;-) Slow and not easy to play with.
Clone X creates minimum System for a few utilities, you should not consider using the DVD for something else.

Sincerely

Posted on 20/03/09 9:37:58 PM
RMSe17

Re: Adding files to a bootable DVD image
We have several labs with Mac computers, and we have operators posted in each lab, they have basic knowledge of computers and the software that is installed on them to assist the users, and they need to have an ability to rebuild the machine if something breaks. We can't leave a hard drive in each lab for financial and security reasons, where as with a DVD, we can always make new ones if needed.

We use that system with PC's already, where I have a custom WinPE2.0 boot CD that will connect to the image servers and pull the ghost system image onto the PC. I am working on getting something similar on a dual-boot mac.

Thanks for your help!

Posted on 01/07/20 08:50:16 AM
Sally612

It is possible to make a bootable disk with DVD or CD,the 2 methods shared below are also about how to make a bootable DVD.

http://win10tutorial.com/create-bootable-cd-dvd-in-windows-10-8-7-free-iso-burner.php
https://www.windows10passwordreset.com/make-bootable-image-from-dvd.html

Posted on 01/07/20 09:09:14 AM
Thierry

Hello,

No, Clone X can not create a bootable CD ou DVD.

Best regards,
Thierry Rolland

Back

[ To post a reply, please Log In or Register ]